[ Recipe ] Everyone's Favourite Salad
[ Myth: Salads are boring. ]
I used to think that too, until I met Julie, one of my favourite instructors back in culinary school. Then I realised it was because all along I usually use the regular ingredients, iceberg lettuce, tomato, cucumber - Yes - it quickly becomes VERY dull.
What Julie did was to experiment ingredients. Think outside the box to mix and match. And to be very honest, when it comes to vegetables and fruits, mix and match can't really go wrong. I really enjoy the natural sweetness of fruits so I usually use it as my salad dressing based. And today, I want to share with you one of my favourite salad. It's simple, accessible all around the world and kids-friendly, even my little nephew and niece are enjoying it.
Summer Salad with Zesty Mango Dressing (Yield: 2 people)
- 1/2, Green Lettuce, chopped
- 1/2, Red Lettuce, chopped
- 2 stems, Kale, chopped
- 2 pcs, Breakfast Radish
- 1 pc, Orange / Mandarin Orange / Peach / Mango
- Pinch, Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp, Olive Oil
- Optional - hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, nuts of your choice.
- 1 pc, Mango, remove skin and core
- 1 pc, Lime zest and juice
- 2-3 tbsp, Agave
- Pinch, Sea Salt
- 1 tsp, Olive Oil (stream in last)
- In a mixing bowl, add olive oil, salt and black pepper. Mix well.
- Pour lettuces and kale into the mixing bowl and toss well.
- Salad dressing - blend everything, except olive oil by using a blender. Taste and add in agave/ salt if needed.
- When done, stream in olive oil last. Pulse your blend while doing so.
- Plating - HOW TO PLATE NICELY? The rule of plating is always start to heavy items first. In this case you can put in the lettuce and kale first, then breakfast radish and oranges. After that, use a spoon to drizzle salad dressing on the top. Finish up with your nuts/ seeds, pinch of salt and tiny bit of olive oil.
*Be creative in using the dressing - Add dots on the side, make a splash, be bold enough to try. Enjoy the fun part!
And don't forget - TO USE LOCAL VEGGIES! Especially like now, it's important to support our own community. Look out for each other and food is more nutritious. Awesome!
I usually pick whatever I have from my mini farm when I go there on weekend. Homegrown is the best!
While we will probably continue to be stuck in indoors, in the next few weeks, Easter is here. Let's lift up our spirit by feeding ourselves well with nutritious food. Hope you will enjoy this recipe.
Happy Easter everyone!
Soulistic is a vegan brand created by Chef and Food Therapist, Tiffany Lau (@soulhookedonfood), as a platform to educate customers about healthier diets over medication by providing products and experiences that create change from within. Read about her story and what led her to start Soulistic here.